Before we look into the function of NERDC (Nigerian Educational Research and Development Council), let’s know what it’s all about first.
NERDC was established in the year 1988 that’s during Nigeria’s
Four Educational research council were merged into the present NERDC. the educational council that were merged are: Nigerian Educational Research Council, Comparative Education Study and Adaptation Centre; Nigerian Book Development Council; and lastly Nigerian Language Center.
Read More: 10 Most Expensive Schools in Benue State
Function of NERDC (Nigerian Educational Research and Development Council)
- The Function of NERDC (Nigerian Educational Research and Development Council) is to Create an Appropriate Climate for Educational Research and Development to Succeed
- Identifying educational Problems in Nigeria that require research
- By encouraging those who want to make research on Educational problems especially those relating to Nigeria, They can even sponsor some of the research.
- Another Function of NERDC is the Compilation, publication, or financing of the creation and distribution of educational research findings, particularly in reference to Nigerian educational issues, and popularization of such findings.
- Any educational subject deemed necessary will be assessed, surveyed, or investigated, either alone or in collaboration with individuals, organizations, or agencies.
- Identification of linguistic issues in order to do research and identify answers.
- Creating and maintaining a research & development library where new educational books and other related materials can be made available for use.
NERDC on behalf of the Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) also:
- They are responsible for curriculum development and implementation for Primary and Secondary Education in Nigeria.
- They organize conferences for the development and research of the Education in Nigeria.
- They sponsor and make reasonable input in the research of teachers in tertiary education.
- Another function of NERDC on behalf of the Federal Government of Nigeria is to make boooks accessable for students in all levels of education.